Monday, April 26, 2010

"Mah-em!!"

I remember the days when ds didn't talk. Thinking about what was going on in his head, what he was pondering at any given moment. And then, when words began to come out, how exciting! There was something in between those 2 precious ears, AND it was working!!! When he starting calling me "Mom", "Mamma", oh, how it touched my heart.

Now, I have to take deep breath every time I hear "MAH-EM". This is usually from another room, outside, or across the soccer field. I've resolved myself that I'm biologically processed to stop whatever I'm doing, and answer this so-called cry for assistance. I can be almost asleep, elbow deep in soapy dish water, or intensely concentrating on a TV program when this word will slice into air.

This past weekend, Dh and I stayed up late on Saturday night catching up with each other, and I went over my customary 1 adult beverage (I had 3). So, Sunday morning comes with it my waller-worm son making his presence known in our bed to wake me up. I bring him downstairs and get him settled with his breakfast and Sesame, then retreat back upstairs to get more rest. This is when the "Mah-em" starts. Randomly, the voice reaches my ears, jolting me out of my semi-sleeping state. The frequency increases, "Mah-em, Mah-em" and so on. I drag myself out of bed, go downstairs and look at ds, "Yes, what IS IT". Ds replies, "You know what Mom? Elmo is talking about water today".

I imagine it could be worse, he could be crying, or whining other words trying to get my attention. He must think that whatever around him needs my attention, or he wants to share it with me. And we all know that children don't care at all about how late you stayed up the night before, or how much you had to drink. All of this should be a compliment to me, and the frequency we're together, right? Hold on, I think I hear him calling to me.....

"Mah-em, MOM"

excuse me, gotta run

No comments:

Post a Comment