Friday, April 9, 2010

Park playdate

Today was the first day that we, ds & I, were going to a event of our fellow moms that live in Union county. I was so excited to meet some friendly faces with children the same age as ds. The idea that friends could live close, with mom's that all have the same stories to share, ahh heaven to me.

We didn't plan anything else for today, leaving the mid-day chunk free for any extended playing. I packed our lunch, drinks, and MADE cookies to share. A double batch of super-duper peanut butter cookies that tasted SO yummy. Of course, this was because food always helps ease the friendship in, right? The day is sunny with a brisk spring breeze, perfect for park playing.

Man, was I ever wrong. The mommies that were there, were fully entrenched in their own conversations with themselves and their <2yr yr olds. After ds schooled them with all of his tricks, we got dirty looks from the moms. Like, how dare I bring a bigger kid over to play beside their little ones. So, I start scoping out the rest of the park for age appropriate kids for ds. There are a few on the merry-go-round, but after ds tries it, he decides it's going too fast. The kids on the merry-go-round are all 6+, and don't take any interest in ds anyways. All I want to do is find some other 4yr olds for ds to play with!!

Ds is, of course, oblivious of all of my effort, as he clambers from one equipment apparatus to another, showing me tricks and having a good time. I'm left wondering where are all of the friends his age? Daycare/preschool must be the answer. Now I'll just have to do more research to find out where the other 4 yr olds are that don't go to school, or when they are done with school for the day so that ds can make some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment