Monday, April 19, 2010

"MOM, I'm hungry!!"

My son has been such a silly eater in his 4 years. He doesn't like anything soft and smooth, so he never ate baby food, and just started to like applesauce, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and ice cream. I fretted about this at first, as a first-time-mom, but would always offer him something hard and crunchy instead, and he would always pick that choice. At the end of the day he got all of his servings of the food pyramid. Something happened to his appetite around his 4th birthday that turned on his "eating button". It's just fine with me, I love seeing him eat, it's this deep feeling of pride when you know that your child is getting the nutrition they need. It has surprised me a couple of times, when he's ready to eat, and I don't have anything prepared, or at easy reach to hand to him.

That is what happened at soccer practice this past week. All of us parents are lining the perimeter of the designated area, watching our children learn "dribbling". He's glad I'm watching him, and unlike @ gymnastics, I can also hear him. He yells over to me, "Mom (MMaaaaaammmmm), I'm getting hungry!" Then, stops what he's doing to run over to me to see if I have anything to eat. Of course, I don't have anything to hand to him (and wouldn't!). I give him a drink and send him back on his way assuring him we'll have something after practice on the way home. Of course, once soccer is over, we head to the car to open his snack-pac. A tupperware container I have filled with almonds, red bell pepper and carrots. He has it devoured by the time we get home.

When we walk in the door, he declares he's "ready for supper now"

No comments:

Post a Comment