Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Introduction to my third family

As posted before, I was engrossed in being a nanny, but needing some flexibility and more of an income. The agency found me another family that had multiple children, and one about to enter the world. I had a long interview with the family, and the mom requested some more background checks from the agency, so I went through fingerprinting, collecting my college transcripts, and another drug test.



The family consisted of mom, dad, older sister NannyGirl (Ng) age 11 {from mom's first marriage}, and Ng age 14 months. The mom was pregnant and due within a couple of weeks. We had a lot of talks about job description, rules of the house, expectations of the childcare, and how the relationship would be between employee/employee. I was also going to travel out of the country with this family, so I needed to get my passport. I was able to express to them through our interviews how much I cared for the little girl I was leaving, and that along with my college degree sealed the deal this family.

I was with this family for 2 1/2 years, traveled with them to Canada a couple of times, went with them to their beach house on the coast of NC, and really became a part of their family. When Grandparents came into town, we all would all be together. When the whole family went out of town, I went into the mom's office to answer phones and file paperwork. I was there for teething, crawling, walking, talking, potty training, plus showing of their house, and moving into a new home.

This family and I went through a lot together, including a series of miscarriages I had. Nanny Mom was supportive and caring like another mother would be towards me. And when I finally became pregnant, they were delighted. They were also pregnant, with their 4th, which would lead us to the end of our relationship. I never learned the series of events that definitively lead up to the decision that I was no longer necessary. That was a hard day for me, and we had just a few weeks together before I was replaced.

I'll be speaking of this family often, remembering occasions, events, or traumatic teething days. They have not kept in touch with me, so I try to distance my feelings towards them, but with anything that you have been a part of for so long, it becomes part of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment