Monday, February 22, 2010

Going swimming is absolutly exhausting!

Today, with my current family, was Meet & Greet day at the local indoor swim/play area. We can go for only $3/child, which they usually have once a month. We've been going to these playdates for awhile now, and the boys (mine and NannyBoy {Nb}), always have a great time. I pack lunch, and shampoo so not only do we shower after swimming, but have lunch so that I optimize the morning, and can come home to put them straight to bed for their "quiet rest".

A year ago, when we started going to these swim sessions, it was quite the obstical cource for me. The parents can get on the equipement to help their child get to the top of the slides, but are not allowed to slide down them. So imagine taking your child to a new park, showing him how to climb the steps to the top of the slide, then scurring back down to catch him after he slides down. NOW, imagine all of this with water squirting everywhere and you're in a bathing suit! That's what I was dealing with for the first couple of trips. The boy's confidence grew, and I was able to just wait at the bottom, and watch them as they climbed all over everything to get to the top of the slides. Thank goodness!

So after about an hour of this, we switch over to the lap pool side to practice jumping in. The pool provides life jackets, and I encourage the boys to climb out and jump in as often as they want. For the exercise, and the boost in their confidence. I have them jump over my arms, try to touch me with their toe, anything to keep them interested.

By now, I'm freezing, and starting to max out on the noise/choas level in the pool area. The boys know that after swimming, we go into the shower stall and be get soaped up and clean. So, we head to our shower stall, proceede to do our thing, as the rest of the swimmers come into the locker room to change. The locker room is now filled with fussy children, moms getting dressed, and one screaming baby. I've got 2 naked boys, who are obsessed with wagging their "boy parts" all around, and we're all dripping wet. This is when I start to focus on getting the boys in charge of getting themselves dressed, while I get dressed and not let any of my parts hang out. Oh, and the baby is still screeming.

Finally, we're all dressed, and can walk out of there. We find a table in the lobby to sit and eat lunch, and just let the silence wash over us. I get the boys to eat their lunch, and eat and eat, so they have a nice full belly for an actual nap this afternoon. I know that Nb will nap, but Ds? that's always questionable

No comments:

Post a Comment