Friday, May 14, 2010

Trying to explain moving to a 4year old

We've decided to move to Dallas for Dh's job, and made the big announcement yesterday. We knew that ds was not going to be too excited about this, as his world is very important to him. He's always liked to think he's in control over his surroundings. Very comforted by the same story over and over again, needs prep time to get ready for anything.

Last night, Dh started to pack up a his toy tractor collection, something that doesn't need to be out in a house on the market. These are special toys that Dad and Ds get to play with together only on special occasions. Ds was watching, and his bottom lip started to quiver,
"Why are you doing that Dad?"
"Well, I need to pack these up so they stay safe" -Dad
"I don't like that, you need to put those back" -Ds
"You're not in charge. Some times things have to change" -Dad
"I don't like change" -Ds

Ds and I went upstairs to read our first of a couple books about moving. He declares, "I'm not moving to a new house, I like this one".

So this is my challenge over the next couple of weeks. Not only getting him used to the idea of moving, but EXCITED about it, and looking forward to starting our new chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment