Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Seeking new nanny position leads to all kind of things

As stated before, my family is moving to Dallas/Forth Worth Tx in the next couple of weeks. I'm currently exploring the options of becoming a nanny in the area, and have made a couple of phone calls to inquire if the market is big enough to support a nanny career.

First off, a simple Google search resulted in 2 agencies. If DFW is big enough to have 2 agencies, then they certainly have enough jobs to support a career. I speak with one agency, and play 20 questions. How many families do you have?? How has the economy effected jobs?? What is the current rate of nannies. Just trying to get an overview of what I'm going to walk into once I arrive.

Then, I start fill out the online application. Simple enough, at first. Job history, references, licence number, and now onto the deeper stuff. "What is my mission statement?" "what is my overall philosophy on childcare" ???????????? These questions require some additional thinking. I save my app, and start looking up phone #'s for my references.

I call an old phone number off my last resume, and get a recorded message. I leave a voice mail explaining why I'm calling and what I need. When the call is returned to me, I learn that my boss I had for almost 3 years, back in 2003, sold her company, and has recently learned she has breast cancer. This is the woman I've been contemplating on contacting, just so I can see the kids, and touch base with her. Now I learn that she has had cancer!? I'm shocked. I'm going to be in her area tomorrow evening, but don't want to appear to be a stalker. So, I do what we do now when you're looking for someone, I find her on Facebook.

In the meantime, I've emailed my last boss, asking her for our job description/nanny agreement. She sends me it, and also comments on how she's surprised to hear that I'm looking for another nanny job. "I thought you wanted to spend more time with ds". Uggg, this is so like her. Like I need to explain to HER why I'm nanny searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment