Wednesday, October 10, 2018

A thank you to the mom's in 2008


“It takes a village” is a phrase that I have always heard regarding children and their upbringing. This used to mean neighbors could discipline your children, people we hardly knew could be relied upon to do carpool, a newly turned 12 yr old could be trusted to babysit your children.  Now a day’s, it’s changed, but the need is still there. Children are erratic, spontaneous, and full-time mom’s also need their village. A community of grown-ups who talk about things, ask how your day is going, and generally care about your well-being.

One morning, we, W (my son) and B2 (the boy I was nannying for) and I were at an indoor play area. I met a mom who mentioned an online forum she was a part of, and how I needed to join so I could meet more people. We exchanged numbers, and even talked on the phone that night. Me explaining why I didn’t think I could belong, as I lived outside the city of Charlotte, and she encouraging me to set up my account anyways, since the benefits far outweighed any consequences. So, that evening I joined called Charlotte Area Mommies, and a whole new world opened up to me. We could post questions, seek reviews of products, talk about our favorite tv shows, and also form playgroups. I had never belonged to an online group before, and soaked up all this knowledge. Mom’s asking about babies, what they were making their family for dinner, talking about cloth diapering,  vaccinating (or not), and so on. And this is where I found a playgroup of mom’s and children within 6 months of age of W & B2. It was an already established playgroup, as these mom’s started getting together when their kids were babies, so I reached out and replied to their next Thursday morning playdate, asking if we could come.

After receiving permission from B2’s mom, off we went to our first play-date. Now, children at this stage don’t necessarily play together, they do what is called, “parallel play”, where they sit by each other and interact with their own toys, but don’t interact with each other. They also love to find what is at the bottom of the toy box, get distracted easily, and for the most part, are not putting everything in their mouth. The reality of what that looks like is ALL the toys are on the floor, EVERTYHING is emptied out of bins, boxes and totes, and the children are either sitting on the floor playing with 1 thing, or they are running laps around the house, while the mom’s are trying to visit, and clean up at the same time.

I remember coming home from that first playdate feeling absolutely drained, from talking, cleaning up, and the sheer noise of it all. I also felt welcome, supported, and not so alone. These were all mom’s who had either chosen to stay home after their babies were born, or who worked in the evening/night. Either way, we had all had an abrupt shift once our kids were born. We went from visiting with adults regularly in our jobs to maybe not even seeing another adult all day. We all knew the loneliness of this chapter in our lives. The basic guidelines were,  anywhere from 4-10 mom’s, would meet on Thursday mornings, in a rotating fashion, with everyone having a turn to “host”. It didn’t need to be at your house, you were only responsible for setting up the post in CMA’s as a reminder and see if anyone else wanted to come.

And so it began, everything Thursday morning, for as long as we were in Charlotte. And what a wonderful thing to have happen to us. We LIVED for Thursday’s now. It meant that I could have an assessment day at work Monday’s, plan an outing on Tuesday, a craft on Wed, and then clean up and do chores on Friday. Just that one additional morning when I knew the boys would be entertained, and I could talk with other adults that kept me motivated me through the whole week. We loved it so much, I remember driving through an ice storm just so I could come to a playdate! We went to people’s homes, their neighborhood pools, playgrounds, firehouse’s, strawberry picking, Nature Center’s, Chucky Cheese, even once made a big adventure uptown on their public transportation. It was great.

The children got older, and the playgroups started to thin down, as some kids were put in daycare/school, or the mom’s had a sibling to bring and the now 3yr olds needed to be a little bit more gentle around the baby. There were still mom’s who met regularly, and needed this form of therapy, myself included. And this is how I was able to continue to work in this job, barley making above minimum wage for so long. This group nourished my spirit.

With my whole heart, thank you mom’s. Thank you for including me in your circle, for empowering me with your attitudes, your opinions, and your willingness to listen. Not only to me, but to my kids, and the crazy noises children make. Thank you for showing up, for hosting, for allowing me into your world for those brief moments. We are all now friends on social media, and our kids are turning into teenagers, and have entered middle school. I’ve seen these all these children grow as well. I’ve seen pictures of surgeries, and of new siblings, heard about medical obstacles, gotten new addresses as you have moved, and thank you for all of that too. Thank you for STILL being in my life, even if now it’s a postcard at Christmas, I treasure them. You all were un-sung angles during this time, and it was magical, as I have not found another group that has bonded like you women. As we are all on different paths now, know that each and every one of you helped me in my journey, and your support will be cherished always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment